Monday 4 November 2013




THE ART OF GIVING

Many years ago I lived in the Middle East, the land of luxury and opulence. I was having my nails done one afternoon – as you do…what happened next was just incredible!

I was sitting next to a local Arabic lady. We started chatting and the conversation quickly turned to fashion! As it turned out she made regular trips to all the fashion capitals and shopped the latest collections from the runways. She attended all 4 major Fashion Weeks – London, Paris, Milan and New York – EVERY season! Gosh I wanted her life…a life where money was just no object and nothing was out of reach…

While talking I complimented her on her Gucci handbag and simply said how I loved it and was looking at getting one just like it…someday! She gracefully accepted the complement and quickly added that she only wears the latest season and when next season rolls on she will simple discard the bag!!! I was horrified and she must have seen it on my face…how can you just “discard” a Gucci???

She told me she often did a clear out and passed her beloved items on to friends or friends of friends who have commented on certain items and that it made her happy to give her pre loved bags to people who simply couldn’t afford what she had…

Anyway, long story short…she finished before me, we said goodbye and she left. I remember thinking to myself what a lovely lady she was and how friendly she came across…As I was waiting for my nails to dry I saw her walking towards me again (I thought she left) she passed me a Gucci carrier bag and simply said “enjoy”, kissed the top of my head, turned around and walked out the salon…I never saw her again, and she will properly not remember me…but I will never forget her!

I’m sure you can imagine what was in the carrier bag??? Yes, the Gucci handbag!

Today, when I use the bag I fondly recall that afternoon in the nail spa…and it always makes me feel a million dollars! And then I wonder…is it the gift of giving or the art of giving??? Either or…the act of giving always remains amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment