Monday 7 October 2013

FASHION INVESTMENT





FASHION INVESTMENT

As far back as I can remember, for as long as I can remember, my dad always told me, perhaps tried to teach me, to always pay myself first…

What did that mean? For most of my life I took it literally…and paid myself in the form of shoes, and more shoes and handbags and accessories and clothes and more, and more and more…till my closets were overflowing into every little space I could find, until I had no idea what I actually had!!!

I remember a friend coming to visit one night and asked why my flatmate and I put all our shoes in the bathroom? I told him it was all mine…he was shocked! I put it down to the fact that he was a guy and just didn’t get the fact that a girl needs options…lots of them! My motto was “I like my money right where I can see it, hanging in my closet” as Carrie Bradshaw once said in the classic series SATC!

As I got older and my priorities started to change I wondered, is quality better than quantity? Is it worth buying an “investment piece” rather than 10 pieces? Should I save up for that 1 designer item I really want or should I buy 2 or 3 items on the high street? Will a classic stay a classic forever?

On my 1st ever trip to New York I remember the pure excitement of going to Jimmy Choo and buying my 1st pair of shoes, I was so in love I didn’t want to take my eyes off them, even carrying them in my hand luggage on the plane home in case my suitcase got stolen and I lost my beloved shoes! I still have them today…

When I finished my career as a flight attendant after 10 glorious years, I promised myself I was going to buy a Chanel 2.55 handbag, as payment to myself, a reward as such! Gosh the feeling, walking into Chanel, choosing my handbag with the softest leather and the most impeccable craftsmanship was pure delight…it’s still proudly displayed in my closet today!

Since then I have “invested” in a few classic pieces of fashion, mostly shoes and handbags, I look at them fondly, wear them from time to time and always remember the thrill and the story behind them! I will lovingly pass them on to my daughter one day with my story attached that she will hopefully pass on to her daughter with her story attached and so the classic “investment” piece will well and truly be worth more than 10 times over!

Having said that…it doesn’t mean I don’t have a few cheeky pieces lying around that will be classed more quantity than quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment